Though most of us are still in self-quarantine, we can’t stop the seasons from changing. The unofficial start to the summer is here and the weather has finally broken. This year I wasn’t able to spend Memorial Day at a fantastic brunch on a rooftop, followed by a sunny day party so I decided to bake like I was attending a bbq (I always bring a baked good!). Strawberries are amongst my favorite any time fruits but I feel like the sunny weather makes them a shining ingredient.
I saw a recipe for pop tarts and I was intrigued, so I set out to create something similar with a more adult feel. I came up with little strawberry hand pies. These aren’t a new concept, just new to me. I love making fresh crust so adding fresh strawberries seemed like a win-win. This recipe will make 5 pies if you stretch the crust, but 4 more realistically – cut them 4 ways so everyone can get a taste of 1 batch. I personally will be refrigerating them so I can eat pieces for small snacks throughout the week.
What you need
- 1 cup cold butter (2 sticks)
- 2 ½ cups white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or The Only French Toast Seasoning you’ll Ever Need)
- 1/3 cup ice water
Crust finishing Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs The Only French Toast Seasoning you’ll Ever Need (optional)
- 3 tbs corn starch
- 1.5 tbs lemon juice
1 egg – for egg wash
What to do
- First, make the crust! Set the cold water aside and combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl OR in a food processor. Blend with a hand mixer or pulse a few times in the food processor until ingredients are well mixed and resemble pea-shaped balls. Next, add in a tablespoon of cold water while blending until the water is all used. The dough should be soft but not wet. with your hands form 2 equal-sized balls and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.
- While crust is in the fridge chop your strawberries into bite-sized pieces and mix all the filling ingredients together. Set aside. Beat one egg well for the egg wash. Set aside.
- Remove the crust from the refrigerator. Sprinkle flour over a smooth surface to roll out the crust. Flatten the dough into a disk, coat the rolling pin with flour and roll the dough out thinly. I used a small bowl to cut out the pie circles. The bowl was about 4 inches across and I was able to get 3 cutouts in the first roll out. I rerolled the dough and got 2 more.
- Place the cutouts on a greased baking sheet. Add about 2 tbs of the strawberry filling in the center of each cutout. Repeat step 3 with the remaining ball of dough to create the tops of the pies.
- Use your finger to dab the edges of the bottom cut out with the eggwash. Place the pie tops on each bottom cut out and use a fork to pinch close each of the little pies. Brush the tops with remaining egg wash and bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- For glaze whisk the lemon juice, zest, and powdered sugar together.
- Once the pies are cooled glaze the tops! I glazed 3 times.
EAT and ENJOY! #therobertashow