Growing up the mention of okra was always followed by a prompt “EWWWWW!” from my sisters and I. My mom and grandma made something called okra pie (sounds even grosser) essentially, it was layered okra, white rice, can tomatoes and crisp bacon baked like a pie. I actually never really minded the okra slime, as long as it was heavily buttered and salted. Still – okra is green AND slimy, easily a punishment food for children!
I have an easy, but KILLER recipe that only requires 3 ingredients. The first time I prepped roasted okra, I ate the entire portion for dinner – guilt-free. This okra is crispy on the outside and warm and chewy on the inside – there is no slime factor. Simple recipe below.
What you need
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen okra sliced into half-inch pieces
- 1 TBS coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 TBS coarse salt
What to do
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spread okra evenly on a baking sheet
- Toss with oil to coat all pieces
- Sprinkle with half TBS salt
Bake for 35-45 minutes tossing at 20 minutes to avoid sticking. Roast until tips are browned. Remove from oven, toss with additional salt.