It’s no secret that i’m watching my carb intake these days. It started as a challenge with myself and then progressed to an elimination experiment. When I started a little over a year ago what I missed most was not bread but the crunch of crackers (and cookies). After a bit of researching, I first found very low carb but expensive flaxseed crackers to fill the void. After a few weeks, I then went a step further and found a recipe to elevate price shock but keep the function. You can make your own crackers and customize your experience, depending on the spice. Not only are multiple crackers still only 1 carb but flax seeds have an abundance of useful nutrients. Once you get past them sticking to your teeth, it’s a win win compromise. These are a staple for a low carb or KETO lifestyle.
*flaxseeds contain protein, are high in fiber and in omega 3s
What you need
- 1 cup whole flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1.5 TBS Everything Bagel Seasoning or The only French Toast Seasoning You’ll Ever Need
Savory or sweet, there’s something low carb for everyone here.
*roughly there’s 1 carb per 6 crackers
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 275.
- Add flaxseeds, water and seasoning to a mixing bowl. Mix until seasoning is evenly distributed. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove flaxseed mixture from refrigerator and mix again, seasoning may have risen to the top. The mixture will be hardened but still mixable.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a large baking sheet. Place flaxseed mixture in the middle of the baking sheet, place another piece of parchment paper on top of the mixture and roll out. I use my hands but you can use a rolling pin if preferred. Make the mixture as thin as you’d like, the thinner you get them the crispier they will be.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes with the parchment paper on.
- Make sure the crackers are hard and that all moisture is gone. Carefully peel the parchment paper off and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Lastly cut or break into pieces and enjoy!